Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joomla CMS - Migration Solution
02-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Information Joomla CMS - Migration Solution
Information for anyone considering updating a Joomla 1.5 site to Joomla 1.6/1.7

Due to the nature of the upgrade beyond Joomla 1.5 it is difficult (though not impossible) to convert an existing site to version 1.6 and beyond. In fact the method recommended by Joomla.org is a migration path rather than an upgrade.

For the less technically savvy designer/developer (like me) an alternative solution to that proposed by Joomla may actually be easier but does involve a complete re-write of the site and, as Lance pointed out, there's nothing actually wrong with Joomla 1.5. You need to have a specific reason for doing it which, in my case, was a requirement to use the improved ACL (Access Control List) component. Bear in mind that you will not be transferring your existing sql database into the new site so if you have registered users they will have to re-register!

This is how I went about the task:-

Using an installer from cPanel (I used Installatron) install the latest version of Joomla into a new directory, say "/Joomla17/" while you develop the replacement site. You will need to install any modules and components that you want to use and these need to be 1.6/1.7 versions as 1.5 versions probably won't work.

Most browsers have tabbed windows so it's no great problem to have both old and new sites open and cut 'n' paste your articles from one site to another. Take care to replace any graphics or existing linked items from the older version.

Once the new site is complete and ready to go live is where the fun starts (or the headache). Take a full site backup before you start. Various sources within the Joomla community say that the next step is easy - just copy (or move) the contents of the temporary folder (/joomla17/) to the root directory (public_html) and modify any paths in the "configuration.php" file. Unfortunately I found it wasn't quite that simple with a Joomla 1.5 site already existing in the root directory. There are residual files remaining that don't get overwritten in the process and caused havoc, at least it did for me.

Using the cPanel installer, uninstal Joomla 1.5. It was missing this step in the process that caused me such grief over the past 24 hours.

With the cPanel File Manager copy (or move if you like living dangerously) the contents of /joomla17/ into the root (public_html).

In public_html check that you have write permissions set on the "configuration.php" file and open it for editing, searching for any paths including /joomla17/. Edit these paths so they point to the root instead. Save the file (and remove the write permissions if you wish).

Job done. It worked, finally, for me after having to ask Lance to restore a weekly backup because I'd screwed things up in a proper fashion.

Whether it is now safe to remove the development folder (/joomla17/) will depend, I suppose, on the site working as intended. I'm going to leave mine in place for a couple of weeks then rename it and leave it for another couple of weeks just to be on the safe side. Then I'll remove it along with the sql database associated with the 1.5 site.

As usual support from Lance was first class even on New Year's Day - 11 minutes from putting in a support request for a backup restoration to it being completed.

Phil

If at first you don't succeed, use a BIGGER HAMMER!!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 07:30 PM by Lance.)
RE: Joomla CMS - Migration Solution
Hi Phil,

Thanks for this information, yes you would need to clear the public_html folder of old joomla files before moving/copying the new files into this directory, moving the files via file manager within cpanel is also alot quicker than using FTP to download and re-upload.

And the support.... thanks for the feedback, as you know, we do our best to provide the the best support we can Smile

Lance

EEZEE Web Solutions Tech Team
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply